Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Season

PreviousPage 19 of 54Next

Players seem to be getting their full pro-rated salary for games played ... owners are getting the expanded playoffs ... grievance risk off the table ... all make sense.

Did indicate more money for the players (not sure more from what) .... so either more games than the 50ish or a slice of the expanded playoff money. The latter is a bit tricky to distribute to the players so maybe extra games achieves that.

Agree by Friday ... assemble a ST in the home parks by next Friday .... 2-3 weeks of ST 2.0.... season starts mid-July. Time for maybe 60-64 games with the expanded playoffs starting a bit sooner but ending on schedule to avoid higher COVID-19 risk in late Oct-Nov.

As usual, contentious negotiations end at the last moment when the deadline becomes real.

I think I saw where the offer is either 60 or 62 games/

I really wish they could have found a way to play 81.

They will probably settle on a few more that 60, maybe closer to 70 but for July 19th to the end of Sept there are only 10 weeks so playing every day sort of caps out 70 .... doubt double headers are that appealing.

Clearly the owners ... and getting the sense that the Union is off running the season longer and running the playoffs into Nov. Virus risk too high.

Playoffs would be 16 teams ... maybe not for the purist with likely a team with a losing record ..... but adds to the dream of teams / fans in a short season to make the playoffs and then “there is a chance” to win it all. Should generate a bit more interest from the “average fan” which may be more important than the “hard core purists”.

At this stage, I am just happy to have baseball back for entertainment in the moment ... not at all put off because it is not what it was.

I'm not speculating on anything until BOTH MLB & players say it's done... it's all leaking & posturing & manipulation!

Mr. Padre  won't want to hear this, but from a pure "hardball" negotiation standpoint....   If I'm the players, I have in hand:

• "50" games AND a potential large grievance against owners... with the old/prior playoff format.  Whether or not they'd win the grievance IS speculative, but the owners are obviously concerned they might...
  • Players did play "hardball" & stood firm on full prorated salaries, which clearly worked in their favor (partly b/c owners proposals were so dumb/bad)... They did this b/c were (correctly) worried owners would leverage it against them next CBA if they gave in...

Therefore, players need to be really careful about agreeing to Ex. "60 games, NO Grievance, AND expanded playoffs"...  with no share in the TV revenue stream from the expanded playoffs.  The 10-15 whatever "extra" games this year might seem like a big $ deal 'now'; but it's nothing compared to the revenue stream that will continue indefinitely from more televised playoff games.

Moving to expand the playoffs from 10 -16 teams is a MASSIVE change!   Is it ever going to go back?  How does a 16 team playoff look, appeal AFTER a full 162 game season?!  Why should anyone watch baseball before Labor Day with that format?  The smart move (won't happen) might be to expand it just THIS season, see what works/what doesn't, then take it up again in CBA after '21

The expanded playoff are in for 2 years in this version ... I think. Have no idea on any 2021 concessions beyond that. Part of that may be the potential for no (or severely limited) fans in the stands in 2021, so trying to avoid a repeat negotiation issue in 2021.

The sense I get is that both sides want to have a season to try to save some image of baseball (and of course money) and are punting on the hardball issues until the CBA negotiations after 2021 ... and also getting the sense that will result in some real hard ball on money sharing ... likely a lockout / strike.

Players want more games....they need to just agree to 72 games and get the hell going already!

DH universal for 2020 and 2021 ... bridge to permanent DH in new CBA.

Good news for some Padres ... Hedges, Torrens, and clearly Naylor.

Naylor now has a real shot at proving he is a plus hitter without being held back by poor defense.

Hedges and Torrens both may have better futures with a DH home for Mejia's bat and reduced catching duties.

Also, depending on Pham's elbow ... could be a help to his playing time.

Conversely maybe not so good for Lagares / Almonte making the team ... less need for covering OF defense while the potential for a 3rd catcher and Naylor and Cordero making the team has increased.

2020 and 2021 yields more MLB AB for Grisham, Naylor, Cordero, Mejia, et. al to find out if they are legit ML players ... and to make the call as the next wave of prospects begin to arrive.

Advertising on uniforms!

Quote from fenn68 on June 18, 2020, 7:15 am

Advertising on uniforms!

ugggh... well, that will never go away now.

Quote from fenn68 on June 17, 2020, 5:22 pm

The expanded playoff are in for 2 years in this version ... I think. Have no idea on any 2021 concessions beyond that. Part of that may be the potential for no (or severely limited) fans in the stands in 2021, so trying to avoid a repeat negotiation issue in 2021.

The sense I get is that both sides want to have a season to try to save some image of baseball (and of course money) and are punting on the hardball issues until the CBA negotiations after 2021 ... and also getting the sense that will result in some real hard ball on money sharing ... likely a lockout / strike.

Cyncial me....

Owners main goal:   Actually negotiate "in good faith" for a longer season... to avoid being hit with a grievance if they end up having to fall back to a Manfred imposed season.

Players main goal:   As Fenn has said, not REALLY "more games", but "more $".  Most obvious way to accomplish that is more games @ full pay.  But another is % of new TV revenue for 10 up to 16 playoff teams in two years where fans are (20) extremely & then (21) highly unlikely to be in person at same #'s in past.... playoff players would actually LOSE $ relative to prior years since their playoff pools are tied to fan attendance in current CBA.

We all want more games, but players might be able to get more $ & shift risk acceptably to owners to give up example 5-10 games, but then earn more $ than they would have from those games.  Players get more $ IF playoffs happen, but don't sacrifice full salary/game until then as all owner proposals wanted.  Owners "save" some signifcant amount during regular season, and overall if playoffs don't happen.  Get a somewhat smaller % of the pot of gold maybe just in 2020.

PreviousPage 19 of 54Next