Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2024 Padres Season

PreviousPage 6 of 19Next
Quote from Jeremy Hill on March 25, 2024, 7:55 pm
Quote from Notmyopic on March 25, 2024, 6:10 pm
Quote from fenn68 on March 25, 2024, 5:53 pm

In the Padre notes today it was reported that Machado “resumed” throwing … apparently they backed off his throwing work a few weeks ago so he can focus on his hitting. Now they say they will re-evaluate his return to 3B in a couple of weeks. Not sure if that just means establish a better timeline.

So, it appears Machado will fill the DH role for maybe a month … leaving Wade (maybe platooning with Rosario) at 3B. Have to note that Wade has all the 3B starts in Korea and in this exhibition game vs RHP (not Pauley).

Would that suggest that Pauley a rookie without a starting role gets optioned in favor of an OF? Might also suggest that if they do make an add it will not a DH type.

Padres have an open roster slot … maybe Locastro, Mercado, or Mitchell get the call for the bench? At this point, probably not adding a significant bat (since none are really available at a Padre price).

Really seems pretty dumb to bring Pauley up and start his clock only to not give him run.  Doesn’t seem a good decision.

I thought he would play more in Korea too. The service time is nothing to worry about though. They probably just wanted to reward him for having a good spring and didn't think he'd gain much by staying behind while the major leaguers were gone. It was only 2 games on his clock. That's not hard to make up if they want to play service time games.

Not even playing the service time game … they should option him now and in 3 weeks he will not get a year of service time in 2024. Even if they want him as the DH when Manny takes 3B … best he be hitting in the minors until then.

Agree it probably was a reward plus insurance if Wade was injured. Not easy to get someone else to Korea. Keep him psyched knowing they think a lot of him even if optioned.

LynchMob has reacted to this post.
LynchMob

Morejon optioned … Avila makes the 26 man.

39 men on the 40 man remain the same.

Still surprised that Pauley made the 26 man as a bench player (Wade is starting 3B again today).

I guess with one open 40 man slot … Preller still could be working on adding a hitter. Or maybe just waiting until Machado can play 3B before making a move when he can justify a DH type . Or ???????

Quote from fenn68 on March 28, 2024, 9:36 am

Still surprised that Pauley made the 26 man as a bench player (Wade is starting 3B again today).

I guess with one open 40 man slot … Preller still could be working on adding a hitter. Or maybe just waiting until Machado can play 3B before making a move when he can justify a DH type . Or ???????

I find it odd he didn't even receive a start in exhibition play. Very strange given Schildt's comments, but also not all that surprising considering Preller's track record.

Quote from sportwarrior on March 28, 2024, 9:46 am
Quote from fenn68 on March 28, 2024, 9:36 am

I find it odd he didn't even receive a start in exhibition play. Very strange given Schildt's comments, but also not all that surprising considering Preller's track record.

Don’t know how much Pauley was used in ST outside of the “A” games. Still think this is just an “interim” posting on the 26 man until Manny regains 3B … or sooner.

Manny is one issue … the other is riding with Wade the hot hand in ST and the better defensive 3B and the better speed. Padres wanted to emphasize speed and defense … so focus on Wade. However, has to be a little concern that the ST Wade will not translate to the regular season given his ML track record. Then just add in the non-roster options in the system did not impress the Padres enough to warrant adding them to the roster. I guess if Wade goes 0 for SF, Pauley is here to take over.

Today, Preller is watching the waiver wire and making calls on a potential trades … with that one open 40 man roster slot … he has some room to work considering the “upgrade” does not have to be that impactful right now. The pivot point is Manny.

Yes,short leash for Wade plus Pauley is backup 3B and 1B.

When Manny plays the field again if Pauley is optioned....who's the back up 1B?

Profar I guess?

Quote from MrPadre19 on March 28, 2024, 12:19 pm

Yes,short leash for Wade plus Pauley is backup 3B and 1B.

When Manny plays the field again if Pauley is optioned....who's the back up 1B?

Profar I guess?

Or whomever they add to replace Pauley … hopefully a hitter. Since Wade can back-up both OF and INF, Rosario INF, and Azocar OF … Preller has a lot of flexibility on who they add with a lesser regard to position.

Listened to separate interviews with Preller and Shildt … Pauley’s status came up and both really danced around the subject basically saying players can develop in different ways and implying that Pauley can do so as a part-time player.

Sort of inconsistent with past views on prospects either playing or in the minors … so not sure on their real thinking.

Maybe they think Manny is closer to returning to 3B than we think and Pauley is viewed as the long run DH (LHH) over Wasde/Rosario .. so they want to keep him around?

They do like speed and defense which is an advantage for Wade plus he is hot … so going with the hot hand but maybe they expect Wade to drop back to his history as a ML player and want Pauley around to step right in?

Or simply they don’t want to add any of the non-roster in house options at this time.

Can’t see this situation continuing for too long but for now still a head-scratcher for me.

What I don't understand is the selection of Avila over several other options.  I know Avila is out of options and was fairly effective at the end of last year, but he had a horrible ST and certainly didn't impress yesterday.  I think we can look at Vasquez (he starts the home opener for the Chihuahuas in EP on 4/02) or Morejon as Avila's replacement depending on how they fare in the next week or so.

Kolek will be given a little more leash but there are a ton of RH pitchers in EP who might be able to handle the middle inning/higher leverage innings better than Kolek.  Eventually, that spot should be Go's unless he completely fails to adapt to the larger MLB ball; in the interim I like what both Estrada and Jacob did in ST, even though Estrada has a history of a high walk rate; Jacob is just plain funky and a good change of pace out of the pen.  LH RP look solid right now.

Quote from Randy Manese on March 30, 2024, 11:38 am

What I don't understand is the selection of Avila over several other options.  I know Avila is out of options and was fairly effective at the end of last year, but he had a horrible ST and certainly didn't impress yesterday.  I think we can look at Vasquez (he starts the home opener for the Chihuahuas in EP on 4/02) or Morejon as Avila's replacement depending on how they fare in the next week or so.

Kolek will be given a little more leash but there are a ton of RH pitchers in EP who might be able to handle the middle inning/higher leverage innings better than Kolek.  Eventually, that spot should be Go's unless he completely fails to adapt to the larger MLB ball; in the interim I like what both Estrada and Jacob did in ST, even though Estrada has a history of a high walk rate; Jacob is just plain funky and a good change of pace out of the pen.  LH RP look solid right now.

Well maybe Preller did not see enough separation among Avila, Kolek, and the players optioned … at this time … to be comfortable to DFA Avila or return Kolek. Instead buy time to further view Avila / Kolek while letting the others showcase in AAA. All seem to have some pluses but also some shortcomings.

As for Vasquez … just want him to start since looking as though he set-ups (for now) as the 1st call-up if they need a SP.

Preller is not going to DFA/return players before he has to … bodies (if they are not all that different) do provide some early insurance against injuries and also buys time with some of the options that appear further off to develop into a better option (e.g. Reynolds, Paplham, etc.) after the minor league season starts.

On March 29th … maybe the better decision … a decision that could change on Apr 7 or soon after. Hopefully Avila has a good game or two and generates some trade interest even if a useful minor league player … I don’t expect him to last here. Since I like Kolek’s “stuff” (and he has history as a SP through mid-23) could give him a longer leash as the “mop up / long man” trying to get his command to come around where could be an asset in middle relief.

I guess in a cautionary tale not to overreact to any performance (good or bad) this early in the season:

ATL and PHIL are meeting today in a match-up of potential NL Cy Young candidates … Fried and Nola … both were just plain bad from the get go …  Nola who signed the big  contract is getting hammered for 7 runs in less than 3 innings.

PreviousPage 6 of 19Next