Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Team Roster and Season

PreviousPage 3 of 22Next

Hosmer wasn’t signed to lead the team in offensive categories.

If guys like Tatis and Machado do their thing....if Renfroe just hits .260....if Margot can get on base at a .340 clip,

then Hosmers numbers are just fine.

Im positive AJ Preller didn’t sign Hosmer thinking he would suddenly become Freddie Freeman.

Once a player is signed I could care less what his contact is.

Theres nothing we can do about it...it’s not our money...and winning is all that matters.

Eric Hosmer is “not” the reason we aren’t winning.

Of course I wish he was hitting better....but until his production is close to being our main issue I won’t give his contract a second thought.

Plus...it’s not like we have a better 1b option he’s holding back.

I don’t think Josh Naylor is a better hitter or defender than Eric Hosmer.

You are right. Hosmer is solid this year. My only issue is that I think they overspent and there is a finite amount of money to go around for everyone. Yes Hosmer is just fine and a plus hitter even if he isn't a star. The kids are going to improve. Urias and Mejia will improve. Urias will eventually be a .300 hitter. Tatis will have a healthy season. Myers may get back to being a 30-20 type of player. The kids need to grow up and everyone just needs to have a good year on the same year!

There's no reason Lauer, Lucchesi, Quantril,and possibly Paddack, can't be that 200+ inning guy. They're young and strong. Lamet will be limited. Richards is only here next year- pitch him as much as possible.

And that's not even touching Gore, Patino, and Nix.

We'll have MANY in house options next year. AJ has ZERO reason to spend money on a mid rotation vet just to eat innings.

I like the look of our possible starters for the next 4 to 5 years.

Now, if we could just sort out CF......

Quote from WindsorUK on September 8, 2019, 11:32 am

There's no reason Lauer, Lucchesi, Quantril,and possibly Paddack, can't be that 200+ inning guy. They're young and strong. Lamet will be limited. Richards is only here next year- pitch him as much as possible.

And that's not even touching Gore, Patino, and Nix.

We'll have MANY in house options next year. AJ has ZERO reason to spend money on a mid rotation vet just to eat innings.

I like the look of our possible starters for the next 4 to 5 years.

Now, if we could just sort out CF......

You missed my point WUK.  I am not saying go and get an innings eater.  I am saying forget the TOR stuff and get a mid rotation veteran starter who can lead the rotation.  I'm thinking someone like Bumgarner.  A seasoned vet who can lead by example and also provide quality innings, not just innings.  Kinda forgot about Richards when I posted, so he could be that guy.  But do they want to count on him?

I say go with Richards. Everyone seems to want a pitcher who can lead by example. Like who? Everyone wanted us to trade for Syndergaard. I definitely do not want our younger pitchers to follow HIS example. A TOR is not just your best pitcher, he is the guy that the others follow. Paddack is going to be that guy in a few years, he has that personality. Gore can be that guy, he just finds a way to win. We already spent the money on Richards, let's give him a chance to actually earn it. We have tons of good pitchers, let's not trade them or waste a bunch of money for a guy we don't need.

I'm kind of hoping Richards can be that guy. He's already under contract and the guys know him.

I get a kick out of seeing all the young starters get together in the dugout( is it before the game or during?) They seem to like each other and all be pulling for one another. Good to build up chemistry on the staff.

Hopefully Garret fits right in. Getting him 2 or 3 starts here before the years over could be a huge bonus.

So listened to AG on XM this morning. I really hope he doesnt truly believe some of the stuff that he said in the interview. The item that stuck out to me the most, was he said that Naylor can pull anyones fastball. I think he is over matched at time by really high end fastballs. Other item that highlighted itself during the call, was he said that Renfroe has been dealing with nagging injuries all 2nd half. Is that really true, or is he trying to defend Renfroe not being able to make consistent adjustments to how pitchers are changing their strategy on Renfroe? Finally, they said all along that their plan was for Paddock to make it through September so his body can "feel" the entire ML season and he knows how to prepare better for next season.

Andy Green is not the guy to lead this team but his comment about Naylor is perfect to generate trade interest....who would want him if the Mgr said he is a below average player?

Just made him a hot commodity on the trade market

I think Andy needs to be handed his walking papers. I think he’s taken a lot of unwarranted heat from the fanbase during his time here, but he has been awful this year. I didn’t necessarily expect a playoff birth this year, but I do feel this team has underachieved. We knew we had a young squad, but what’s been inexcusable to me is the record against crummy last place teams. The Padres would play competitive baseball vs teams like the Cards and Dodgers then look like they didn’t show up against teams like the Pirates and Marlins. To me, that’s on the manager. It has been the theme all year where the Padres seem to “play down” to their competition. I expected some mental mistakes with a young team, but it doesn’t seem that the coaching/respect level  is there to address those mistakes. Poor base running, poor defense and beyond poor situational hitting approach has killed this team over and over again.

One thing I won’t hang on AG is the bullpen. We’ve been spoiled as Padre fans with lights out bullpens year after year. This year the bullpen was terrible. I think he had a difficult task with managing a young staff combined with a surprisingly bad pen. I just can’t stand the consistent mental errors. I’ve gone to only a handful of games in person this year and maybe it’s just me, but I don’t see much respect or confidence from the players in AG. I don’t think AG is much of a leader or a teacher. I’ll be very disappointed if a change isn’t made.

PreviousPage 3 of 22Next