Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2020 Spring Training Thread

Quote from Brian Connelly on February 13, 2020, 11:31 am

I agree that:  Yates, Pom, Pagan, Stammen, Strahm & Pierce Johnson (guaranteed 5MM - 3 yrs) are "locks" in the pen due to contracts (Pagan-ability).

But don't think Jose Castillo or Andres Munoz are.  FAVORITES yes, but it's 1 of these 2 guys who could make way for Guerra to stay... if he shows strongly enough in ST.  Guerra an obvious trade candidate, but could also see a guy like Strahm or (flip) Pierce Johnson traded- IF Castillo, Munoz, and others on 40-man have really good ST - AND the right deal presents itself.

Can make argument Castillo &  Munoz would benefit from beginning in Minors for different reasons

Agree ... Munoz and Castillo probably could use some innings in “controlled “ situations in the minors to start 2020 and be on speed dial for call-ups as needed.

IF others show well, buys some time for the other to secure their roll or earn they way out.

I've been doing this for 50 years(not on the Internet though...lol) and every year I am so excited for the season to start I'm literally consumed with it.

This year is not only the same but even more so.

We haven't even made the playoffs in a decade and very well may not again this year....but that still doesn't dampen my excitement for Padre baseball.

Let's GO!

P.S. Tatis is a big part of it this year.....I just pray he can give us 10 healthy seasons.

But let's just start with this one and go one at a time.

Paddack's tattoo lol love that guy. I hope Pham inspires even greater swagger from him. Lamet or Paddack to headline the rotation? Two dynamic breaking balls and heat or control, a 4 seamer, and a filthy change up...

Personal preference, and it's close, but I think I go with Paddack with the chips on the line.

Padres twitter has some clips of Valdez, Richards, Emilio, Yates, Lawson, Lamet, and Gore throwing BPs.

A nice start to the 2020 season after a one day delay for games at Spring Training.

A win is a win and hopefully the first of many this year and a winning season

Go Pads

Padres sign veteran 2B Brian Dozier to a minor league contract ... getting crowed for 2B in ST!

That Trammell double looked nice yesterday. Myers, Arias, and Olivares among others got hits.

Pitching looked pretty good. Davies retired all six batters he faced.

BP looked strong. Particularly Johnsons, Perdomo, and Guerra.

Arias made a trio of smooth defensive plays.

Quote from fenn68 on February 24, 2020, 6:22 am

Padres sign veteran 2B Brian Dozier to a minor league contract ... getting crowed for 2B in ST!

Seems like a really good signing.   2.2 MM + incentives.  Destroys LHP.  Could be that "missing piece".  Really kind of surprised he's out there available on a minors deal at this time.  Of all the moves this offsesason, Profar is the most questionable.  The fit & versatility is good, but 5.7 MM just seems like too much for the position given what he's done so far & his weakness vs RHP last year, especially at any cost - even minor pieces in trade.

Practical question is, if "only" working Profar at 2B in ST (find this hard to believe), how can Pads possibly evaluate so many guys competing with 2B (+ bench) the only open job/s?  Really will be interesting to see who gets playing time where, especially 2B.

I'm sure they told Dozier there was a decent chance he would be in AAA waiting on an opportunity.

Something has gotta give.

No room on the 26 or in AAA for all these infielders.

I like Garcia but I just don't see him surviving all these adds.

Quote from MrPadre19 on February 24, 2020, 7:19 am

I'm sure they told Dozier there was a decent chance he would be in AAA waiting on an opportunity.

... I doubt it.  A guy of his stature probably got a deal like Lagares with an early opt out before end of ST.  Not reported yet, but his Base (2.2 MM) + Incentives are > Lagares

Something has gotta give.

No room on the 26 or in AAA for all these infielders.    True.  Think the MLB vet guys Dozier & Beckham either on roster or released.  Valera has a good chance of clearing waivers if DFA end of ST, b/c out of options.

I like Garcia but I just don't see him surviving all these adds.  Dozier works as the complementary piece/RH bench bat TO Garcia.  Garcia's primary competition logically is Cronenworth (also Valera & Quiroz-all LH).  Cronenworth is at LEAST more versatile defensively, and is "ready" after full year breakthrough @ AAA, but I have a hard time seeing Garcia's professional AB & success vs RHP getting cut to save most of 1.5 MM. 

But again, I think the AFTER he was acquired moves to get:  Cronenworth, Valera, & now Dozier actually put more pressure on Profar's 5.7 MM salary.  Still more likely he's the starting 2B with some time @ 1B vs. LHP... but he has got to hit RHP better than last year to justify that salary... Pads have enough options they could mix & match guys if Profar is not the everyday 2B.  It's clear they're not just "handing" it to him.