Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Season

PreviousPage 36 of 54Next

Well the D Backs get the A's and the Rockies get the Astros.....We "really" need to get back on the winning track against the Rangers.

We have to win at least two and winning three would be ideal.

After the Rockies finish with the Astros they go on to play the Dodgers.

We have a chance in the next 10 days to make a move back into 2nd place if we can get the losing out of our system

Heard a report that Lamet and Paddack are going to be lagged a day before their next starts. Not sure why and what that means to the rotation.

In a bit of a unclear interview with Paddack a couple of days ago ... seems some disconnect between Paddack (and how he wants to pitch) and either Rothschild or the scouting reports. I guess that happens when a successful pitcher get bombed.

Maybe the plan to sneak in Morejon for a start and give an extra day rest to the other SP after a pretty long run without off days.

======

Naylor was recalled and Bednar was optioned (Bednar was up to replace Yates who went IL) ... so the roster was agreeably +1 position player -1 pitcher. So, with Pham to IL that is likely the open space for adding Morejon who was called up to the traveling taxi squad but not activated on Saturday.

Would not surprise me to see some additional moves coming soon.

Just as a level set on the 2020 season and the difference from 2019.

Offense (OPS in NL): .753 (7th) UP from .718 (13th) ... that is good.

SP (ERA in NL): 3.43 (4th) LOWER than 4.66 (12th) ... that is really good

But then who would have thought

RP (ERA in NL): 6.48 (13th) WAY UP from 4.59 (10th). Not good especially with the adds over the winter that ...on paper ... seemingly made the pen the elite of the NL.

=======

Consider the pen they built based on 2019 ERA results:

1.19 ... Yates (RP of the year) ... explodes to 12.46 and the IL

1.88 ... Pomeranz is producing at 0.00 in 7.2 innings

2.31 ... Pagan (70 innings) suffering at 8.31 in 8.2 innings

3.27 ... Strahm (33 innings) better at 1.80 in 10 innings

3.29 ... Stammen (82 innings) not good at 7.27 in 8.2 innings

4.19 ... Perdomo (68.2 innings) struggling at 10.29 in 7 innings

5.19 ... Guerra (8.2 innings) not improving at 11.05 in 7.1 innings

0.79 ... Quantrill (11.1 innings) slipped to 3.12 in 8.2 innings

----- ... Johnson was not in MLB but not producing at 6.14 in 7.1 innings

That is 9 RP options coming into 2020 with strong 2019 performance ... then somehow only Pomeranz and Strahm have delivered their promise ... so far.

Improve offense ... improve SP .... then the clear projected strength RP totally implodes! As Buddy Black says "That's baseball".

A 3.12 ERA is Quantrill not fulfilling his promise? I agree on all the rest.

FENN, we all know the pen has had a rough go, but using ERA's with < 10 IP is going to skew some stuff...  WHIP/BAA probably a better measure... will still look bad.

Know the “problem” with ERA in small sample sizes but used ERA because games are won and lost based on runs given up and the Padres are losing games due to the pen.

Even ERA does not fully embrace inherited runners that score (too lazy to find and incorporate that).

Actually all the measures are impacted by small sample size ... not good if evaluating the individual for the long haul. However, looking at the state of production this season and ERA is as representative as any when “ranking” against rest of the league and contrasting vs. their own past. Not trying to suggest the individual is a good (or bad) pitcher over the course of a season.

Actually WHIP is my usual go to measure in making my first evaluation of a pitcher ... still needs an adequate sample size.

If anything the comparisons should give some hope of a rebound to the norm over the rest of the season.

You guys been reading all the comments from players- past and present!- about FTJ's grand slam?

I feel embarrassed for Tingler, chastising his best player for wanting to produce.

I'm over this guy.

poolie has reacted to this post.
poolie

I don't think it was chastising him at the time but merely a statement that Tatis missed a sign.  However, reporters post-game played it up and Tingler should have just stated that it was something between the two of them rather than tossing out any comments that reporters could use to fuel a controversy.  The real culprit was the Ranger manager, Woodward, for blowing it up as a disrespect for the game for not following unwritten rules.  I hope Tingler clarifies today because he's got to stand up for his players better rather than be Mr. Nice Guy and not offend other teams' feelings.

The overwhelming majority of comments from players to fans alike is that Tatis is playing the game as it should be played and Woodward is living in the past and a crybaby for his team not performing as well as Tatis did.  Tatis struck out earlier but I didn't see him curse Lyles or glare at Woodward for causing him to strike out.  I hope it doesn't affect Tatis adversely because, outside of missing a take sign, he did absolutely nothing wrong AND he acknowledged missing that sign.  So be it!  Obviously the 21 year old has a lot more integrity than the Texas manager.

poolie

A possible different spin on Tingler's approach. Three more games with Texas (Tuesday - Thursday) ... may have just wanted to cool the situation and avoid a "retaliation" situation by Texas by really throwing at Tatis (or anyone) .... and a brawl (which could result in injuries / suspensions). No one knows what he said privately to Tatis.

Don't really want to make a point on something as trivial as this at the cost of  potentially hurting the season. Texas is off the schedule in 3 days .... and then no one will care or remember.

Add that some of the commentary today from Tingler is that he had no issue with Tatis being aggressive but he did have an issue with Tatis either not checking or ignoring the sign. Something Tingler wants not to happen is a situation were he feels the signal the call he wants in a critical situation.

I would certainly hope Tingler makes a statement today, of some sort, to get ahead of this thing. Last thing our players need is to think their manager is trying to appease( or agree!) with the enemy.

The Ranger manager needs to put his big boy pants on and tell his team to compete all 27 outs.

poolie
PreviousPage 36 of 54Next