Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2020 Spring Training Thread

Or Potts to "take off" and take over 3b from Machado and move him to SS....:)

Quote from MrPadre19 on February 12, 2020, 12:23 pm

Or Potts to "take off" and take over 3b from Machado and move him to SS....:)

We also have the versatile, athletic, Wil Myers with experience at 3B who could step right in an force Machado to SS ... or SS for Wil? Awesome entertainment value ... at least for some. 🙂

The Padres recently got a bit of clarity in their quest to fill the fringes of their 26-man roster. Right-hander Javy Guerra, who spent most of his career at shortstop before transitioning to a bullpen role last season, will not be eligible as a position player under Major League Baseball's new roster rules. Those rules stipulate that teams may carry no more than 13 pitchers.

Guerra's roster chances took a bit of a hit with the news. The Padres have a deep group of bullpen arms, and Guerra would have to impress this spring in order to make the club as one of eight relievers. But after six professional seasons as a shortstop, he's out of Minor League options.

Wait I am confused. I am assuming the designation is establisned on a self-selected basis.  Position players often throw an inning in a BP role.  What would prevent Javy from designating himself a position player and pitching?

I am not seeing the linkage. Said another way, why would the rule that prohibits a team from carrying more than 13 pitchers preclude Javy from becoming eligible as a position player.

Never simple:

• Two-Way Player Designation: Players who qualify as “Two-Way Players” may appear as pitchers during a game without counting toward a Clubs’ pitcher limitations. A player will qualify as a “Two-Way Player” only if he accrues both: (i) at least 20 Major League innings pitched; and (ii) at least 20 Major League games started (as a position player or designated hitter) with at least three plate appearances in each of those games, in either the current Championship Season or the prior Championship Season (for 2020 only, this will include 2019 as well as 2018).  The Club must designate that player as a “Two-Way Player” in advance of that game. Once a Club designates a qualified “Two-Way Player” that designation will remain in effect, and cannot change, for the remainder of that Championship Season and Postseason.

think (ii) wipes out Guerra from getting that designation. Actually, probably eliminates Cronenworth, too. However, if carried as a one of the 13 "position players" they could pitch under the following circumstances:

• Position Players Pitching: Any player may appear as a pitcher following the 9th inning of an extra inning game, or in any game in which his team is losing or winning by more than six runs when the player enters as a pitcher.

I suppose if the Padres don't see a major role for the 13th position player they could keep either Guerra or Cronenworth and use them in those situation and allow for a better option as the 13th pitcher. Since both can play SS (and Guerra very well) ... maybe an OK option to give Tatis a day off now and then, or a late inning break.

IF Hosmer, Profar, Tatis, Machado, Pham, Myers are ticketed for full time play and Cordero / Grisham control CF and Mejia / Hedges control C ... actually how much will the 11th position player play ... then the 12th option ... leaving the 13th position player scraping to get time ...

After relooking at the caps ... definitely an OOPs:

Earlier this month, MLB and New Era offered a look at the 2020 spring training caps, and almost all of them were bad. But the San Diego Padres’ cap was especially problematic for a different reason:

Fans thought the design resembled a swastika.

The brown and gold caps, which featured the “Swinging Friar” at the center and an “SD” over the body, were unofficially tabled as the team reported to spring training camp in Arizona this week

Oh my God. Racism again. It never ends. This is a rorschach test. You see what you want to see. If you think there is a racist under the covers, in the closet, and in the clouds, then that's what you're going to see. How woke! This makes me want to throw up. I try to turn to sports to avoid this stuff, but it seems that it is impossible to do. Now I'm probably going to get beat up for wearing my Padres spring training hat to McDonalds. This world is run by twitter. Uh!

Quote from hoffy51 on February 12, 2020, 3:55 pm

Oh my God. Racism again. It never ends. This is a rorschach test. You see what you want to see. If you think there is a racist under the covers, in the closet, and in the clouds, then that's what you're going to see. How woke! This makes me want to throw up. I try to turn to sports to avoid this stuff, but it seems that it is impossible to do. Now I'm probably going to get beat up for wearing my Padres spring training hat to McDonalds. This world is run by twitter. Uh!

I haven't heard anything saying it was intentional which would have to be the case for your post to have any basis in fact. How about people just might not want to wear a hat with something that looks like the symbol of a regime that murdered six million+?

Yeah it’s an ugly hat IMO regardless of whether you think it looks like some say.

I’m glad they canned it personally but wish they had gone to the Swinging Friar cap.

I heard the Padres disliked the cap as soon as it came out (not their design but MLB and New Era) ... and had no issue dumping it as soon as they could.