Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Draft

PreviousPage 8 of 20Next

"Sleeper" for pick #34 in the Competitive Balance Round (today): Dax Fulton, LHP out of HS in Oklahoma. Maybe their 2nd round pick if everyone else will not take the risk.

Preller likes upside gambles ... LHP ... HS and that is Fulton. He was considered one of the top HS arms last spring BUT he ended up having TJ Surgery last September. Risk makes him slide (not sure how medicals are reviewed under current limitations)  ... but recovery from TJ is more common these days and by ST next year he will have hand about 18 months to recover.

I saw that mock Fenn. I must say that Kjerstad scares me. If he already has swing and miss problems before he even gets to the minors, that could be a problem. Mlb also has him graded as having a 45 bat. That is not present grade, that is a prediction of future grade. I also saw in that mock draft had Hancock, the former likely 1/1 in this draft, dropping to us in 1 of the 2 scenarios. If he does I think our Padres have to take him. Another possible ACE is always welcome and I would love to see another possible double plus changeup in our rotation. But whatever. I think Hassell is the likely pick for us and I would be happy with that.

I will leave it to the Padres scouts to choose our best sup. 1st pick. If we take Hassell in the first I would be fine with Fulton as our next pick, but preferably in the second round. If we go pitching in the first, I think someone like Walker(Mr. Padre's favorite) should be our target. I think sup first is the place to take power guys with contact questions. His bat grades the same as Kjerstad's with a 45-hit and a 60-power.

The only player ranked in the top 10 that I wouldn't want them to take at 8 is Nick Gonzales.

Obviously I'm no expert and he is continually ranked high for a reason...but I fear he will become a good contact middle infielder with lacking defense and little power or speed.

I certainly prefer(and think Preller does too) higher upside choices this high in the draft.

In the top 10 you have to take a guy with a chance of becoming a superstar.

Gonzales IMO has a "great" chance at being a "good" player.

High floor/low ceiling is not the goal in the top 10.

Quote from MrPadre19 on June 10, 2020, 12:08 pm

The only player ranked in the top 10 that I wouldn't want them to take at 8 is Nick Gonzales.

Obviously I'm no expert and he is continually ranked high for a reason...but I fear he will become a good contact middle infielder with lacking defense and little power or speed.

I certainly prefer(and think Preller does too) higher upside choices this high in the draft.

In the top 10 you have to take a guy with a chance of becoming a superstar.

Gonzales IMO has a "great" chance at being a "good" player.

High floor/low ceiling is not the goal in the top 10.

Agree on Gonzales ... nice talent but with limited upside. Plus it is just my concern but he has been playing at New Mexico State in the WAC so might his stats be some skewed higher (think El Paso in the PCL) ... especially the power aspect.

I was a bit surprised that Hancock was dropping on some mocks giving the Padres a shot .... not sure why. Last one I saw had him going at #7. Still, I am biased toward plus hitters from HS ... so Hassell would still be my preference.

"he has been playing at New Mexico State in the WAC so might his stats be some skewed higher (think El Paso in the PCL) "

Also not against the best competition.

At the very best he's Freddy Sanchez.

Good player but not top 10 1st round IMO.

Kjerstad #2 to Baltimore ... surprise and that should shake up the rest of the top 10!

Note: some speculation the Baltimore worked out a below slot deal to give them some flexibility to sign a later pick. Given Kjerstad was basically considered a Top 10 .. probably not a major below slot.

Meyer #3 to Miami ... earlier than expected ... more shake-up in top 10 and making the Padres pick more interesting.

Lacy #4 to KC. Looks as though Veen ... Hancock ... Martin all dropping and one could make it to the Padres.

Martin #5 to TOR.

Fingers crossed for Veen or Hancock.

PreviousPage 8 of 20Next