Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Draft

I know its WAY early to talk about this but I'm bored and the Mookie rumors are killing me.

Plus I want to be the first to throw out the name Jordan Walker!

This is the kid I hope we take at #8.

He's a High School kid and I think we will probably go with a College bat(Mitchell,Crow) but this kid just looks like the real deal and the ball jumps off his bat.

6'4" 210 lb High School Senior

Check this out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4QbHCw6slE

Nice kinda  quiet hands. Does not over rotate on his front foot but does on his back foot and loses some juice and balance

His load is straight back and not much of a loop so he gets to the ball straight....A to B instead of a loop drop A-B-C

Stays on top of the ball and keeps the barrel above the ball with nice top hand

I like his power upside but right now he looks to drive the gaps on a line....Love it

Rolls his glove forward but easy to fix

Clears his hips coming in on a ball throwing to first with nice wrist snap on his throw

Appears to stay on top of his throws and doesn't work underneath or lead with his elbow

Footwork is good but needs to get over his leg on the back hand side....didn't get to see him going to his glove side much as in circle the ball to set up his throw but still smooth

There is more I would note if doing a real player evaluation and watched it 15-20 times but those days are behind me....Thanks for the link

Some body is going to get a nice player with size and room to grow

At #8 ... guessing they go HS since the top College bats likely are gone before that and the Padres wont force a pick just because it is a college bat (or arm).

A lot of spring to play, but leaning toward one of the better HS arms with high ceilings .. at #8 could get the pick of the litter (or at least the next in line).

Ever year is different but at #8 ... tricky ... usually just after the clear, slam dunk top of the draft options and just entering that zone of 10-15 that start to blend together and becomes a pick based on a teams’ scouting seeing a differential.

I want UCLAs CF Garrett Mitchell at #8... Almost every mock ive seen has him going to us... And I like him a lot

Quote from MrPadre19 on January 31, 2020, 11:58 am

I know its WAY early to talk about this but I'm bored and the Mookie rumors are killing me.

Plus I want to be the first to throw out the name Jordan Walker!

This is the kid I hope we take at #8.

He's a High School kid and I think we will probably go with a College bat(Mitchell,Crow) but this kid just looks like the real deal and the ball jumps off his bat.

6'4" 210 lb High School Senior

Check this out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4QbHCw6slE

Maybe he could play first base. We have no prospects in our minor league system.

As a High School kid there would be 3 years to just “let him play” before worrying about where to play.

He really looks good in the field but can’t tell from a couple videos.

Have to see him for a couple seasons at 3B to know if he could stick.

Then if the bat is enough figure out where to play him to continue his move up.

Much like we will have to do with Abrams.

Quote from Henry Silvestre on February 1, 2020, 7:35 am

I want UCLAs CF Garrett Mitchell at #8... Almost every mock ive seen has him going to us... And I like him a lot

I think it makes the most sense at this point to go with the bat that’s closest to making a big league impact.

But,if those guys are gone I’d rather take a guy who could be an impact player than the 3rd or 4th best College bat.

Still a full season to go so who knows who moves up...or down the rankings.

I saw a Mock that had us taking Crow(another HS bat) over Mitchell.

Im thinking because he could end up in CF due to better Defense.

Most Mocks have Mitchell gone in the top 5.

Plus Preller is known for taking the guy with the highest upside even if still in High School.

I’m thinking it may be time to take guys that will contribute in SD “sooner”.....but will he?

Quote from MrPadre19 on February 1, 2020, 10:56 am

Most Mocks have Mitchell gone in the top 5.

Plus Preller is known for taking the guy with the highest upside even if still in High School.

I’m thinking it may be time to take guys that will contribute in SD “sooner”.....but will he?

Probably not unless he is debating two with equal ceiling projections ... one college and one HS. “Sooner” is not “soon” and at #8 probably 3 v 5 years.

Pretty sure Preller is a high ceiling guy so if a projected #3 SP out of HS is in the debate vs. #5 SP out of college who could arrive 2 years earlier ... he goes with #3 and does not worry about date of arrival.

Always-take-the-best-player-available. This is not debatable. Drafting for need, including who will be ready sooner, is a fool's errand.