Forum
2020 Draft
Quote from fenn68 on June 10, 2020, 4:49 pmHancock gone ... Gonzales gone
Padres have the pick of the best HS player on the board ... Veen? Abel?
Hancock gone ... Gonzales gone
Padres have the pick of the best HS player on the board ... Veen? Abel?
Quote from fenn68 on June 10, 2020, 5:01 pmThe pick is in:Independence HS (TN)CFL/LHS SR6' 2" 195lbs
DOB:08/15/01$5.18m pool allocationReportedly the best HS hitter in the draft (and the guy I was on early). Also some rumor he may come in a little under slot to use later.I am OK with this one.
DOB:08/15/01
Quote from JasonE135 on June 10, 2020, 5:01 pmOoookaaaay...? I guess everyone knew something we didn't? Or is Preller just being cheap so he can spend more later?
I love Robert Hassell don't get me wrong! Especially if he can stick in CF. But I thought that Zack Veen was considered to have a bat that was virtually equal to Hassell's but with a lot more power potential. If we are going to get a power hitter this would have been the way to do it, a guy who is almost sure to hit and likely to develop plus power early in the first round. Veen would have been a perfect opportunity to do that, but I will trust Preller. A CF who can actually hit, yay! Now let's get an expensive pitcher with a high ceiling in the supplemental first!
Welcome to San Diego Mr. Hassell!
Ooookaaaay...? I guess everyone knew something we didn't? Or is Preller just being cheap so he can spend more later?
I love Robert Hassell don't get me wrong! Especially if he can stick in CF. But I thought that Zack Veen was considered to have a bat that was virtually equal to Hassell's but with a lot more power potential. If we are going to get a power hitter this would have been the way to do it, a guy who is almost sure to hit and likely to develop plus power early in the first round. Veen would have been a perfect opportunity to do that, but I will trust Preller. A CF who can actually hit, yay! Now let's get an expensive pitcher with a high ceiling in the supplemental first!
Welcome to San Diego Mr. Hassell!
Quote from fenn68 on June 10, 2020, 5:18 pmReports have been that the Padres have been deep in on Hassell for weeks ... not only the best bat to ball skills but more athletic (potential to stick in CF). Note that on Hassell's MLB Network interview the already had a Padre cap .. think they had a deal locked down before the draft.
Can make the argument the best "hitter" with CF skills is better suited to PETCO than a very good hitter with more power and corner OF skills.
Padres have said they will spend all of their allocation ... don't even think that is an issue.
No problem with the pick.
Reports have been that the Padres have been deep in on Hassell for weeks ... not only the best bat to ball skills but more athletic (potential to stick in CF). Note that on Hassell's MLB Network interview the already had a Padre cap .. think they had a deal locked down before the draft.
Can make the argument the best "hitter" with CF skills is better suited to PETCO than a very good hitter with more power and corner OF skills.
Padres have said they will spend all of their allocation ... don't even think that is an issue.
No problem with the pick.
Quote from LynchMob on June 10, 2020, 5:21 pmThe comparison of Hassell vs Veen is going to be fun to watch for many years!
Preller makes the risky pick ... Veen sure seems to be the consensus pick ... but can't go wrong with the guy Mayo says "has the best pure bat among the prep set"!
I like "pure bat" ... can't teach that ...
The comparison of Hassell vs Veen is going to be fun to watch for many years!
Preller makes the risky pick ... Veen sure seems to be the consensus pick ... but can't go wrong with the guy Mayo says "has the best pure bat among the prep set"!
I like "pure bat" ... can't teach that ...
Quote from fenn68 on June 10, 2020, 5:58 pmRed Sox look to have "punted" with their #1 pick ... rated #139 and described as a tough sign .... this may signal they don't want to sign him (after making an offer) and get that same pick in 2021.
Should note that the Red Sox don't have a second round pick ... lost due to cheating penalty.
Going to be fun on the talk shows in Boston.
Red Sox look to have "punted" with their #1 pick ... rated #139 and described as a tough sign .... this may signal they don't want to sign him (after making an offer) and get that same pick in 2021.
Should note that the Red Sox don't have a second round pick ... lost due to cheating penalty.
Going to be fun on the talk shows in Boston.
Quote from JasonE135 on June 10, 2020, 6:23 pmDamn, too bad Mr. Padre. Your favorite Jordan Walker the 3B was taken at #21. Oh well, we got a bat early in the first round. Now I am hoping for a high ceiling pitcher with our extra money in the supplemental first. Maybe a power bat in the second. But nobody can predict where we will go from here I guess. That being said I see that Nick Bitsko is still available.
Damn, too bad Mr. Padre. Your favorite Jordan Walker the 3B was taken at #21. Oh well, we got a bat early in the first round. Now I am hoping for a high ceiling pitcher with our extra money in the supplemental first. Maybe a power bat in the second. But nobody can predict where we will go from here I guess. That being said I see that Nick Bitsko is still available.




