Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 Spring Training Thread

Quote from onlypads on February 7, 2020, 8:27 am

What are people most interested to find out in Spring Training? Who are you most interested in tracking.

For me, I'm most interested in seeing if Cronenworth can lay claim to 2B.  I'll also be tracking Gore and Patino closely (like everyone I am sure).

A lot to choose from but will be watching the players for the last few spots in the bullpen. Probably five are locks: Yates; Pomeranz; Stammen; Strahm; and Johnson. After that ... on paper ... can make pro and con cases for the last three so ST may have a major impact on the choices.  Then out of that group ... really interested in Javy Guerra (out of minor league options) who has major upside and little experience. No question would get claimed if DFA'd out of ST.

So with all these BP options....does Quantrill start in AAA?

Unless we go to a 6 man rotation there isn’t room for him....so he’d be much better off starting somewhere.

I’d prefer AA.....but someone has to pitch in EP.

Quote from sportwarrior on February 5, 2020, 2:04 pm

Whelp... There was very, very little room for the design of our new Spring Training threads to go south. The color scheme and swinging friar were a recipe for a great design... and yet... we're left with this, by far the worst of the league-wide "layered" designs for spring training this year. Guess I'll be saving my money.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/02/04/2020-mlb-batting-practice-and-spring-training-new-era-caps-released/

I like it. It's like all the other hats, a combination of the SD and the swinging friar. Nothing. NOTHING. Could be a boring as the past Padre's spring training hat. IMHO this is a vast improvement.

Why not do a six man roation? Most of our rotation is still building their innings up anyways.

Quote from onlypads on February 7, 2020, 12:36 pm

Why not do a six man roation? Most of our rotation is still building their innings up anyways.

I wish we would.

The only real reason not too is when you have a certified Ace with no limits because you don't want to lose his starts.

We aren't in that situation in 2020.

Next season with Paddack/Lamet/Gore potentially with no limits we definitely wouldn't want a 6 man...but in 2020 I'm all for it.

Quote from MrPadre19 on February 7, 2020, 10:28 am

So with all these BP options....does Quantrill start in AAA?

Unless we go to a 6 man rotation there isn’t room for him....so he’d be much better off starting somewhere.

I’d prefer AA.....but someone has to pitch in EP.

I am not conceding the #5 slot to Lucchesi ... yet ... and think Quantrill has a legit shot to start for the Padres.

IF he doesn't .... bet on long man in the pen unless he stinks up in ST.

As for the 6 man rotation ... not taking starts away from Paddack, Lamet, Richards, or Davies to give them to the "loser" of the Lucchesi / Quantrill battle ... not at the start of the season if wanting to "contend" giving away wins does not fit.

You would rather give starts to the loser or to a rookie in a pennant race at the end of the season when some of those guys can’t throw any more innings?

Are Paddack/Lamet/Richards gonna be allowed to go 180+ innings?

162 games x 6 ip =972 ip.

972 ip divided by 5 =194.4.

Someone other than the top 5 are getting innings.....I would rather it be Q or Lucchesi than Bolanos.

”Maybe” Gore in September will be a good thing.....maybe not.

Quote from MrPadre19 on February 7, 2020, 1:37 pm

You would rather give starts to the loser or to a rookie in a pennant race at the end of the season when some of those guys can’t throw any more innings?

Have faith the Padres can mid-season mange innings to make sure their best is available for Sept. Actually, in the Padres case ... a rookie down the stretch may be better than both Lucchesi and Quantrill ... no way to know but those two have not distinguished themselves to the level to rely upon.

Have to get into meaningful games in Sept ... and by handing about 22 starts through August to the 6th option with history of a high 4+ ERA versus the 1 - 5 options I fear the additional losses will keep them out of contention. I would also worry if they got to Sept (and the playoffs) with their top 4 starters having worked on 5 rest days then having to go on 3 rest days (not going pitch #5 or #6 in a critical game) they will fizzle.

I would go with the 5 man rotation and strategically drop in the "long man" for a start during the summer in a long string of games pushing everyone back a day and as needed drop that long man and just skip a start for any of the starters showing signs of getting worn down.

I don't think the Padres can afford not to go all out to win (and be in contention) in Apr-Jun because if not they jump to sellers at the deadline and August - September become irrelevant except for the showcase for Gore, et. al.

Assuming everyone stays healthy I think we might see whoever loses the battle for the 5th spot used as a bulk guy after an opener. Strahm or Johnson go 2 with Quantrill or Lucchesi following for 4.