Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2021 Season

Page 1 of 114Next

I'm ready for 2021 Season 🙂

Here's what FG's perspective currently is ...

Re-Projecting the 2021 San Diego Padres

In that article they mentioned how much ZIPS absolutely LOVES Kim.  If he can produce anywhere near what ZIPS have him at this will be a really good team.

If he does win the 2B job in ST, I wonder where he bats?  Same with Nola.  Does Tatis still bat leadoff and/or 2nd with Grisham leadoff?  How would the lineup work with no DH, or does Preller signing Kim to give us 4 really good infielders (and Hosmer) indicate that he thinks there will be a DH.

One thing the Dodgers have had over the Padres and every other team in baseball, that will change this year, is the fact that they could hurt you from anywhere in the batting order in any inning. I for one hope the Dodgers don't resign Justin Turner because that guy has been the absolute glue that held that lineup together in my opinion besides just seeming to be a major pain in the backside against the Padres. I won't get into the "ifs" game but this Padre lineup with the addition of Kim and a full season of a Catcher that can actually run and hit for more than a .174 BA can be one of those lineups that is in every game and that can hurt you from anywhere in the lineup. Match ups on the mound will be exciting as both teams can go toe to toe, Both teams will have very good team defense and I would give the Padres the edge in team speed.

The one thing that any team in any sport at any level hopes to avoid is the three "I" s.......Injury, Illness and Ineligibilty. Any of these for an extended length of time can be a killer so I hope that there is still enough down on the farm or enough money in the kitty to weather any storm that will almost be certain to arise....these teams are seem to be pretty doggone close so will the three "I"s be the deciding factor and who overcomes and adapts ?

Quote from Ben Davey on January 4, 2021, 6:33 pm

In that article they mentioned how much ZIPS absolutely LOVES Kim.  If he can produce anywhere near what ZIPS have him at this will be a really good team.

If he does win the 2B job in ST, I wonder where he bats?  Same with Nola.  Does Tatis still bat leadoff and/or 2nd with Grisham leadoff?  How would the lineup work with no DH, or does Preller signing Kim to give us 4 really good infielders (and Hosmer) indicate that he thinks there will be a DH.

The ZIPS projections for Kim, as reported in the FG article, are the most ridiculous projections I think I've ever seen!

ZiPS Projection – Ha-seong Kim
Year  BA  OBP  SLG  AB  R  H  2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB OPS+ DR WAR
2021 .267 .337 .442 595 93 159 32 3 22 103 60 113 18 110 0 3.8
2022 .268 .340 .456 574 92 154 33 3 23 104 60 114 17 114 0 4.0
2023 .268 .341 .463 568 92 152 33 3 24 106 61 114 16 116 0 4.1
2024 .265 .340 .463 555 91 147 32 3 24 104 61 111 16 116 0 4.0
2025 .263 .338 .456 540 87 142 31 2 23 99 59 105 15 114 -1 3.6

Padres must agree on Kim. $28MM guaranteed over 4 years ($7MM AAV) plus incentives based on plate appearances would get him $32MM ($8MM AAV). Pretty good coin for someone with no ML experience out of the KBO.

If he can deliver those stats out of 2B ... that is All-Star level. Kim-Tatis-Machado for the next 4 years might be legendary INF.

CBS Sportsline hasn’t updated depth charts since offseason moves...which is understandable,but they don’t even have Hosmer as our 1B?

Kinda odd IMO.

What a difference a year makes!  At the close of the 2019 season, two of our biggest question marks were who would be the LH hitting complement to Margot in CF and could any of our catchers make a difference in 2020?   MLB network recently started a series of top 10's at various positions and Grisham was ranked #8 among all CF while Nola was ranked #6 among all catchers.  Personally, think these rankings are a little high based on a lack of a lengthy track record but both benefitted by being in a powerful day to day lineup in 2020. I hope to see continued growth for both in 2021 and a gradual replenishing of the farm system that allowed us to make those trades that will make a difference in the coming 5 years plus.

So while nothing has been agreed upon it looks like the 7 inning double headers and starting a runner at 2b for extra innings will return for 2021.

I assume this is mainly because we could still have games postponed due to Covid therefore requiring more double headers needed.

It also looks like the Playoffs may be expanded although not as much as last season.

My guess is a total of 14 teams make the postseason and this will be agreed upon once MLB agrees to allow the DH in the NL.

MLB "gives in" on the DH for the Players agreeing to the expanded playoffs.

I just wish Manfred wasn't so slow in getting thigs done and we already had this agreement in place.

Then we might have Nelson Cruz in the middle of our lineup!(I still don't believe we could afford him actually).

Quote from MrPadre19 on January 18, 2021, 11:34 am

So while nothing has been agreed upon it looks like the 7 inning double headers and starting a runner at 2b for extra innings will return for 2021.

I assume this is mainly because we could still have games postponed due to Covid therefore requiring more double headers needed.

It also looks like the Playoffs may be expanded although not as much as last season.

My guess is a total of 14 teams make the postseason and this will be agreed upon once MLB agrees to allow the DH in the NL.

MLB "gives in" on the DH for the Players agreeing to the expanded playoffs.

I just wish Manfred wasn't so slow in getting thigs done and we already had this agreement in place.

Then we might have Nelson Cruz in the middle of our lineup!(I still don't believe we could afford him actually).

Getting the feeling that none of the rules agreed to last spring will get approved but if any did it may be late in ST and only if the COVID issues get worse.

Since Manfred has come out and said the league plans to start on time and play 162 (that is what the MLBPA most wants), the DH for 2021 (from a money standpoint) may not be that important if they have to give up some precedent going into the CBA negotiations. Union felt they got the short end of the stick in 2020 with the expanded playoff benefits (money) primarily accruing to the teams ... they want to share more.

I am ALWAYS excited to hear those words "Pitchers and Catchers report" but never as much as this season.

I'll be interested to see what type of audience participation,if any,there is this year in Az.

It was my intentions of travelling out West for ST this year.....but,because of Covid that ain't happening.

Even if fans are allowed my Mother is 84....I'm not gonna be around her during all this.

So.....2022 it is!

No matter what I'll b ethere....so anyone who wants to meet up let me know.I'd love to have 5-10 of us out there at the same time.

It would probably be a couple days before Spring training games start as I like to hang out just for practice a couple times and not just attend games.

2022 ST could be amazing!

Page 1 of 114Next