Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2019 Playoffs

I start this because all of these teams are where the Padres and we as fans want to be.

Watching the Wild Card games and the first night of NLDS games shows me just how far away our team really is.

So besides the obvious....what do all these teams have that we don't ?

Given the current state of affairs can we hope to catch the Dodgers within 3-5 years ?

I always root for the underdogs.

I know you didn't ask this but give me the Rays vs. Braves.

It's simply amazing how the Rays win with a bunch of versatile "good" players and no superstars.

Their 2 best pitchers out almost the entire season.

Discipline hitting is what the Dodgers and Rays do best.

Don't give up your at bat swinging for the 5 run homer.

Work the count,therefore making the pitcher work...and get on base any way you can.

We have a lineup full of free swingers trying to hit the ball too hard and do "too much" at every AB.

I saw Machado go to RF with a runner on 2nd last week and couldn't remember the last time I saw that.

Quote from David Nevin on October 4, 2019, 9:29 am

I always root for the underdogs.

I know you didn't ask this but give me the Rays vs. Braves.

It's simply amazing how the Rays win with a bunch of versatile "good" players and no superstars.

Their 2 best pitchers out almost the entire season.

David,

That is why I have always liked the Cardinals.....they draft great and somehow they always seems to have young guys come up and make an impact, always seem to have great pitching from out of nowhere, work the count and know how to play "little" ball and hit and run and how to keep a inning alive.....most of the things that our Padres don't do

Part of that is organization culture.....The Cardinal Way or Dodger Way or Rays Way etc

There's no doubt the Cardinals "do it right".

I also believe they have the best(and most knowledgeable) fans in baseball and it isn't close.

But they have won enough that I have to root for the Braves....not to mention I live in Georgia and

have alot of friends who are Braves fans.

Plus...there's still a sign when you enter Georgia from Florida that says "Home of the 1995 World Series Champion Atlanta Braves!"

We need a new one......lol

So yesterday I got a full dose of baseball as I watched all 4 games and the thing that stood out the most was the Starting Pitching.

At this point do the Padres have anybody that would have people on the edge of their seat watching....maybe Paddack but look at the teams playing....great starting pitching and relief......Scherzer throws an inning in relief and thumpers all through the line up....it doesn't matter where the batting order starts....all these teams will hurt you from anywhere and we had......Garcia, Jankowski and Martini to finish the season....no offense but these guys are not "Play in October" players

Garcia is exactly what you need on a play off team, but he is supposed to be guy #24 or 25. Not 8-12. He got way too many ABs for this season. But he is a good bit player that can handle an occasional start.

Quote from 3fingersplit on October 5, 2019, 11:55 am

So yesterday I got a full dose of baseball as I watched all 4 games and the thing that stood out the most was the Starting Pitching.

At this point do the Padres have anybody that would have people on the edge of their seat watching....maybe Paddack but look at the teams playing....great starting pitching and relief......Scherzer throws an inning in relief and thumpers all through the line up....it doesn't matter where the batting order starts....all these teams will hurt you from anywhere and we had......Garcia, Jankowski and Martini to finish the season....no offense but these guys are not "Play in October" players

I don't think anyone thinks they are.. Only ONE if that will be in the new 26 man roster and he will be #26...

Good chance Garcia, Jankowski, and Martini don't survive the initial drop to the 40 man roster ... so probably not an issue going forward.

If for some reason they need a similar player as the 26th man ... probably can easily find one on the scrap heap cheaply in  late Jan - early Feb or even in ST. Actually, good chance those three will still be unemployed to be brought back on as a non-roster minor league contract. Hopefully they are sitting with strong bench options by then.

I am just loving these playoffs.....Kiermaier just hit a bomb.....This is the kind of  guy that the Padres need....Gold Glove center fielder, 8 million a year through 2022/2023 and hits left handed.....I know his numbers don't seem like much but the guy is clutch

NO way the Rays give him up but it sure would be nice to find that kind of nugget in the draft....31st round