Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2020 MLB Draft

It's never too early 🙂

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2020-mlb-mock-draft-end-of-the-season-way-too-early-edition/

By all accounts, the 2020 draft class is deeper than the 2019 edition, and the pitching should rebound in a big way after we saw a new low for arms just a few months ago. The college pitching, in particular, is loaded, and the high school class has improved from a year ago as well, meaning we should again see an arm taken among the top-six picks.

On the hitting side, there’s intriguing shortstop depth in the college ranks, while the high school class is deep in the outfield. Both classes have several catchers who could wind up going in the first round as well.

If we end up getting a pitcher, it better be a guy with high upside. We have a bunch of safe but unexciting pitching prospects(Weathers). That college left-hander(best left-handed pitching prospect in the draft) looks like he might be available to us. As his a fan of pitching as I am(huge), I would rather see us get a big bat.

Picking 8th ... just guessing the highest upside will probably be a HS player. Picks 1 - 7 will drool over high upside college players as safer picks (and probably cheaper without the leverage of going to college).

I am OK with that ... take the upside and give the kid a year or two more than the college guy to hit the ML. Padres have a lot in the pipeline ... so sorting through them allows the HS kid some development time and could lead to a better ML end product for the long run. Would hope that HS player that becomes top of the Padres list is an offensive force ... but best projected player is the pick no matter what. In most drafts, there is usually a pretty clear break between the top projected prospects and the next group ... break is normally in the 5th to 9th selection slot. So, sitting at #8 (and depending on how those above pick) the Padres may be funneled into a pick based on the clear remaining best player available ... college or HS / pitcher or position.

I go with get talent and figure out what to do with it as it makes it to the ML.

Saw an early mock sloting UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell at 8th.. Left stick..high OBP Speed and Defense with a sweet swing and power projection ..yes please

Asa Lacey- #5 college prospect, top left-handed pitching prospect in 2020, 92-97.

Austin Hendrick- #3HS prospect, left-handed cf(probably future RF), good speed, big arm, huge bat speed, huge power, considered best HS hitter in the class.

At their current rankings, one or the other should be available when we pick. They both look great to me!

Quote from Henry Silvestre on October 2, 2019, 4:12 pm

Saw an early mock sloting UCLA CF Garrett Mitchell at 8th.. Left stick..high OBP Speed and Defense with a sweet swing and power projection ..yes please

Completely agree. This would be my guy.

If its an arm I like Lacy.

This from Callis:"Hitters have trouble making contact against Lacy, the best left-hander (college or high school) in the 2020 Draft, who can make them look bad with a 92-97 mph fastball, a deceptive changeup and a distinctly different curveball and slider. He ranked third in NCAA Division I in opponent average (.162) and eighth in strikeouts per nine innings (13.2) as a sophomore."

He looks like he is very difficult to hit....hard to pick up the ball from what I saw in his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeDYi5Wzzo

Quote from hoffy51 on October 7, 2019, 11:57 am
Quote from Henry Silvestre on October 2, 2019, 4:12 pm

Completely agree. This would be my guy.

He also has Type 1 diabetes. That could be a serious concern for his overall health. Besides which I don't know how major league baseball views the risk of a player possibly having a seizure on the field. At least in their view. I am fine with it. The thing that worries me is that he may be more athlete than pure hitter at this point. But I would love to see him turn out. He seems very similar to CJ Abrams, just with more power and less speed.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

A tweet from BA sez ...

The 2020 MLB Draft class is MUCH deeper than 2019.