Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

10 facts while waiting for 1st domino to fall... let's interpret what they mean

PreviousPage 2 of 2

Honestly, if it is not Cole or Stras, is it really that much of an upgrade for the dollars that they will cost. I dont even think Ryu, even his after his season in 2018, is not worth the dollars. Ryu has a track record of injury that scares me.

Cole, Stras, or MAYBE Wheeler or a trade for Kluber, Kluber is the lowest cost AAV than all of them. Other than that, probably should be out.

But the fear is that even if not Cole or Stras we "won't" be out.

I have a feeling they are bound and determined to add one starter and maybe two.

I don't agree either...but maybe they can't upgrade the offense as much as they wish because everyone wants Paddack,Gore or Patino and that ain't happening so they want to upgrade the rotation.

I would rather roll with Paddack-Richards-Lamet-Lucchesi-Gore-Patino and only spend our assets on offense.

Unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen...partially because they want to make some 2/1 or 3/1 moves to open some roster spots also.

Hopefully we can get Haniger or someone even better rather than just add Dickerson(who I want) and then add more pitching.

Quote from David Nevin on November 20, 2019, 12:39 pm

But the fear is that even if not Cole or Stras we "won't" be out.

I have a feeling they are bound and determined to add one starter and maybe two.

I don't agree either...but maybe they can't upgrade the offense as much as they wish because everyone wants Paddack,Gore or Patino and that ain't happening so they want to upgrade the rotation.

I would rather roll with Paddack-Richards-Lamet-Lucchesi-Gore-Patino IP Limits in order:  OK but 210 = 50% Increase, Off TJ  & 3 years < 100/yr = 150?, Off TJ = 150-180?, OK (200+), 150 FIRM = 50% increase, 140 FIRM = 50% increase and only spend our assets on offense.

Unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen...partially because they want to make some 2/1 or 3/1 moves to open some roster spots also.

Hopefully we can get Haniger or someone even better rather than just add Dickerson(who I want) and then add more pitching.

There aren't enough innings available at the TOP of the rotation.  The guys who can go to 200 are our #6,7,8 options (Lucchessi, Lauer, & Quantrill)

I think that SD will let Paddock and Richards both chase 180+ innings this season.

Quote from BoosterSD on November 20, 2019, 12:08 pm

Honestly, if it is not Cole or Stras, is it really that much of an upgrade for the dollars that they will cost. I dont even think Ryu, even his after his season in 2018, is not worth the dollars. Ryu has a track record of injury that scares me.

Cole, Stras, or MAYBE Wheeler or a trade for Kluber, Kluber is the lowest cost AAV than all of them. Other than that, probably should be out.

Kluber's AAV next 2 years is 17-18MM/yr.   Even though we have a deep Farm system, young MLB'ers, I just don't get the logic behind spending the trade assets to control a guy for LESS time but about the same salary as signing an "equivalent" FA for longer without giving up the asset/s?  How does this help the team improve on offense if the same amount of $ is being spent in 2020 AND there's less trade options for getting position player/s?  Only thing it accomplishes is to have less $ on the books 3+ years from now....

Yes, I pounded the table to trade for Kluber or Syndergaard (thinking both teams might be "Sellers").... LAST year, when they each had 3 years control, and comparable options did not exist in FA.   Now they each have 2 years control, have higher AAV's, are coming off down years, are "competing" with a strong SP FA market that didn't exist last year, AND maybe most importantly.... almost everyone on these boards is saying Pads are not "ready" to contend in 2020 no matter who we sign?!?  IF that's really true (I refuse to accept it; don't see how 78 yr old Fowler can be much clearer about winning NOW, and I think there's already +10 Wins on the roster O.D. vs last year) why would we consider trading significant assets AND spending significant $ for a guy who's really only there to help us in 2021?

I wouldnt call a broken arm a down year for Kluber, in fact you could look at it this way, he has one less year of wear and tear on his arm. And I simply believe that Kluber is still better than Wheeler and Ryu. So, I think he is bang for the buck worth it over the FA options out there. I get that it will cost prospects as well, but like you mentioned, Fowler wants to win, and I think Kluber still does that.

MrPadre19 has reacted to this post.
MrPadre19

“Only thing it accomplishes is to have less $ on the books 3+ years from now”. That is important though Brian. Think about where this team could be 3 years from now. I’d like to have that money available to bring in help for hopefully a star studded young playoff team. Outside of Gerrit Cole and maybe Wheeler on a 4 or 5 year deal I don’t want any of those FA pitchers at their price 3 plus years from now.

I don't know if Kluber has two more TOR starter years left in him but for $18 mil per you're not getting another pitcher as good as he.

Wheeler will cost much more in AAV and years.

The only comparables to Klubers 2/36 is Hamels and maybe Ryu.

PreviousPage 2 of 2