Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

2019 MLB Draft

mlb.com with their first 2019 Mock Draft ...

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/2019-early-mlb-mock-draft/c-301452552

6. Padres: C.J. Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity HS (Roswell, Ga.)
One of the toolsiest players in the Draft, Abrams has tremendous speed and that, along with his plus arm, give him the chance to stick at shortstop. Combine that with some serious offensive upside, there's no question he belongs in top 10 conversations.

I'd prefer this guy ranked #6 (Abrams is ranked #5); mock draft has him going @ #4 to Marlins

Josh Jung | Rank: 6

School: Texas Tech Year: Junior Position: 3BAge: 20 DOB: 2/12/1998Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6'2" Weight: 215 lb.Previously drafted: Never

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 40 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 55

Jung has produced since he arrived at Texas Tech, starting with winning Big 12 Conference Freshman of the Year honors in 2017. He encored by topping the league in hitting (.392), on-base percentage (.491) and RBI (80) while leading the Red Raiders to the College World Series as sophomore, then had a strong summer with Team USA. One of the more well-rounded offensive players in the college ranks, he should join Donald Harris as the only first-round picks in Tech history.

Jung has a controlled approach at the plate, repeatedly barreling balls to all fields with a sound right-handed swing. He lets his power come naturally and his bat speed and strength should translate into 25 or more homers per year once he turns on more pitches. He manages the strike zone very well and has no shortcomings in his offensive game.

Though Jung is a below-average runner, he's reasonably athletic and makes enough plays at third base. He has the strong arm required at the hot corner and should be able to stay there. His instincts help him make up for his lack of quickness in the field and on the bases.

All things being equal(and I'm not saying in this case they are) I prefer the guy who can play SS and is the most athletic.

It's easier to find corner infielders who can hit 25 HR than it is middle infielders who can steal 30+.

Of course there are many more variables involved but "in general" this is how I feel.

So give me the HS kid Abrams.

Long way to go but on the surface Abrams seems more a Preller type (position players) athletic C-SS-CF and HS for position players.

What may be an interesting factor is where the Padres are in their plan to contend. Assuming Abrams and Jung are "neck and neck" in the evaluation debate (they will not force one over the other) ... would they give the edge to Jung as a 3B who may impact the ML in 2-3 years (and little 3B in the system except Potts) over Abrams as a SS who may be 4-5 years out (considering Tatis - Miller - Arias - Edwards are sitting in the SS queue).

Then don't forget the emergence of some lesser known HS LHP next spring messing up this debate.

I think at this point.....with the quality and quantity in our system, getting the player who they feel will be the best major league player

will trump age and position.

We are so deep now that best available player regardless of any other factors truly is all that matters....IMO

Quote from David Nevin on December 7, 2018, 10:37 am

I think at this point.....with the quality and quantity in our system, getting the player who they feel will be the best major league player

will trump age and position.

We are so deep now that best available player regardless of any other factors truly is all that matters....IMO

Agree it is always the "best player available" but rarely does everyone sitting in the draft room agree on who that is ... so if it is 50% Abrams / 50% Jung how do they break the deadlock? That is more my point. Once the tie is broken 50% will be upset they did not take the "best player available". Reality is the were all probably wrong.

Quote from David Nevin on December 7, 2018, 9:04 am

All things being equal(and I'm not saying in this case they are) I prefer the guy who can play SS and is the most athletic.

It's easier to find corner infielders who can hit 25 HR than it is middle infielders who can steal 30+.

Of course there are many more variables involved but "in general" this is how I feel.

Quote from David Nevin on December 7, 2018, 9:04 am

LOL....If you find a guy that can actually play 3rd base and hit 25 knocks a year please send him to;

AJ Preller-GM -  San Diego Padres

San Diego, Ca.

Thank you

Right after we find our SS.....lol

Villanueva hit 20 in less than 400 AB’s.

We really haven’t had a SS who could hit since Khalil Greene.😳

ALWAYS best player available 1st round especially in top 10-15 picks.   Position doesn't matter; it's not the NFL.  That being said, a college 3B like Jung worthy of the selection sure would fit nicely.

But if you had 2 guys at the same position, and you had their FUTURE POTENTIAL rated dead even, and one was college, one was HS, you definitely take the college guy.

That's harder to evaluate when it's 2 different positions too, but same thing: IF they were dead even POTENTIAL wise, you go with the collegian.

HS Pitchers simply have a higher risk of getting hurt b/c pitching more years before getting to MLB, but I'm WAY more comfortable with taking them than position players this high b/c 1)  Think the projections on P pitches/stuff are more valid than on position players, where there is so much speculation on the important hit & power tools developing  and 2) Matt Bush & Donovan Tate have terrified me forever from HS position players in top 10 overall.

Quote from David Nevin on December 8, 2018, 5:52 am

Right after we find our SS.....lol

Villanueva hit 20 in less than 400 AB’s.

We really haven’t had a SS who could hit since Khalil Greene.😳

Loved Khalil, but I will never get the look on his face as he waved at another slider 3 feet outside of the zone for the 1000th time out of my mind.  He definitely had power, but "could hit" is generous...

Hopefully our wait will end this year!