Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2026 Wild Card Series - Chicago Cubs at San Diego Padres: Sept 29_Oct 1

Page 1 of 2Next

Tuesday, September 29 - 7:00pm
CHI: LHP Matthew Boyd(10-5, 3.91 ERA, 39 BB, 96 K, .241 BAA)
SD: RHP Matthew King(12-10, 3.21 ERA, 70 BB, 159 K, .221 BAA)

Wednesday, September 30 - 7:00pm
CHI: ?HP ???(---, -.-- ERA, -- BB, -- K, .--- BAA)
SD: RHP Nick Pivetta(3-2 , 2.86 ERA, 8 BB, 42 K, .206 BAA)

Thursday, October 1 - 7:00pm
If necessary

Finally, the post season is here. This will be a rematch of last season. This time it will be her at Petco Park.

GO PADRES!

MrPadre19, lafnboy13 and LynchMob have reacted to this post.
MrPadre19lafnboy13LynchMob

I guess the speculation about Musgrove was real. He's on the roster. Andujar too. Song and Peralta were left off.

SP- King, Pivetta Buehler

RP- Miller, Morejon, Rodriguez, Adam, Matsui, Morgan, Ray, Musgrove

C- Salas, Campusano, Fermin

IF- France, Cronenworth, Bogaerts, Machado, Andujar, Sheets

OF- Tatis, Merrill, Harris, Taylor, Hays, Bowen

I have always thought that Shildt made a poor decision for SP in game 3. He chose Darvish, who pitched poorly,  over King, who had been pitching well. I hope Stammen makes a better choice.

Robbie Ray taking Peralta's spot.

Not sure I like that idea.

My guess with Joe is they will use him in low leverage situations, if at all, to get him some innings in case we go further he could get an expanded role.

 

 

Quote from MrPadre19 on September 29, 2026, 11:15 am

Robbie Ray taking Peralta's spot.

Not sure I like that idea.

My guess with Joe is they will use him in low leverage situations, if at all, to get him some innings in case we go further he could get an expanded role.

 

 

Could be a mop up situation for Musgrove, see how he does versus ML bats.

Ethan Salas is the youngest catcher in postseason in MLB history.

I am happy that Hart and Canning are not on the roster.

I'm both nervous and excited about Musgrove being on the roster. On the one hand he's reportedly throwing harder and looking sharp facing hitters in AZ. He's also got a history of coming up big in big moments. On the other hand he hasn't pitched in the big leagues in 2 years. Going up against what was the best offense in baseball during the regular season in a short series is a tough way to return. There's no guarantee you're going to be able to find him a soft landing. They must feel like he's ready to go.

I guess we have to rely on the coaching staff in evaluation Musgrove's "readiness". Arm must be feeling fine and his AZ rehab work must have looked sharp.

Still, pitching for the first time at the ML level for two years ... and TJ surgery / long layoff spells normally results into some very questionable command. High risk in a playoff situation.

I guess the debate was over Vasquez (clearly not Canning) ... Vasquez went deep on Sunday so maybe would not be available until game 3 (maybe 2) for a short spell. Having Musgrove available for game 1 and 2 maybe be the advantage keeping him and worth the gamble.

Pivetta starts game 2

Page 1 of 2Next